מחויבותנו לפליטים מכוח סיפור יציאת מצרים
- To whom do you feel most responsible? On what values is your feeling of responsibility based? Do you feel more loyal to the people of your immediate neighborhood/community or to distant Jews who you have never met? Why?
- How do you understand the differing Jewish values that talk about responsibility? Which values do you find most compelling?
- Some would argue that Jews cannot rely on others for aid, and so we have to look out for ourselves first. Do you agree? What examples would you bring that support your opinion?
- When you read the text about “your town’s poor come first,” who do you consider to be the residents of “your town?”
- If you choose to donate to victims of natural disasters (a hurricane or tsunami, for example), do you prefer to donate through a universal organization (the Red Cross, for example), or though a Jewish organization (AJWS, for example)? What lies behind your decision, what are the different approaches here?
- Israel is a successful and affluent modern State. Why should we send our philanthropic dollars there rather than to countries in the third world in dire need?